Boise Firefighter training

Firefighters with the Boise Fire Department work through a training scenario at the Boise Fire Training Center, Thurday, June 11, 2020.

Support Local Journalism


Subscribe


BOISE — The Boise Fire Department has determined that an electrical failure likely caused Tuesday morning’s deadly house fire on West Northview Street.

The official cause is classified as accidental. There were no working smoke detectors in the home, and extension cords were used as permanent wiring, according to a department press release.

Firefighters found an elderly woman unresponsive in the home and, along with Ada County Paramedics, attempted life-saving measures, but she died at the scene.

The Ada County coroner on Wednesday identified her as 93-year-old Claire Stoker of Boise. The manner and cause of her death are pending results of toxicology tests, which may take several weeks to return, according to the coroner.

“The loss of life that resulted from this fire was a tragic outcome and our hearts go out to the victim’s family and friends,” the release states.

While fighting the fire, crews also recovered a deceased dog in the home. They searched for a second possible victim and later learned that person was safe and not home during the fire.

Crews responded at about 1:30 a.m. Tuesday to a single-story house fire on the 6700 block of West Northview Street. The first Boise Fire engine was in enroute at 1:28 a.m. and arrived at 1:32 a.m., according to a department spokeswoman. Stoker was pronounced dead at 2:40 a.m, according to the coroner’s office.

The fire burned along the backside of the house and into the attic. It was controlled about 20 minutes after crews arrived on scene. One firefighter was treated for minor injuries.

Boise Fire has not released the victim’s name or age, details that are expected to be released by the Ada County coroner.

The Boise Fire Prevention team reminds residents to install smoke alarms on every level of their homes.

Recommended for you

Load comments