The suspect in a stabbing that killed a 3-year-old girl and injured eight others made his first court appearance Monday, where he was denied bail.

A large crowd gathered in the courtroom to watch the hearing for Timmy Kinner; people filled the benches and stood near the doors.

Kinner appeared via teleconference while sitting at a table in the jail with a public defender. He told the judge he wanted to represent himself, but Comstock assigned him a public defender.

Ada County Deputy Prosecutor Daniel Dinger said Kinner has twice threatened jail staff since his arrest Saturday. Dinger also pointed out that Kinner had had prior felony convictions involving weapons and a 2012 assault conviction.

Dinger on Monday asked the judge either to issue no bond at all or a $10 million bond.

Given the nature of the crime, Comstock said, as well as Kinner’s lack of ties to the Boise community, he didn’t feel bond was appropriate in Kinner’s case.

Kinner, a 30-year-old from Los Angeles, is accused of stabbing nine people during the 3-year-old victim’s birthday party in the Wylie Street Station apartments about 9 p.m. Saturday. The complex is home to several refugees, and all of the stabbing victims were from Syria, Iraq or Ethiopia, according to police.

Officers learned Kinner, who was not a refugee himself, had been staying at the complex with a woman who had offered him her apartment when he needed a place to stay. Boise Police Chief Bill Bones said the woman wanted to help him because she felt people had helped her as a refugee. However, his behavior caused her to ask him to leave on Friday.

Kinner returned Saturday night. Bones described the stabbings as revenge, though the woman who asked Kinner to leave was not injured.

Six of the victims were children younger than 13, who were attending the birthday party.

Kinner was initially charged with nine felony counts of aggravated battery and six felony counts of injury to a child. He was charged with murder Monday after stabbing victim Ruya Kadir, 3, died. She and her mother resettled from Ethiopia to Boise in December 2015, according to the International Rescue Committee.

Police claim Kinner threw the knife in a canal south of State Street and fled after the attack. They arrested him after a short foot chase.

Want more news like this in your email inbox every morning?

During his arraignment Monday, Kinner tried to speak over his attorney when the judge asked if there was anything else to address Monday. The lawyer cut him off.

“No your honor, not today,” the public defender said.

Ada County Prosecutor Jan Bennetts, whose attorneys are litigating the case, voiced her thanks in a statement for the Boise Police Department and all the other first responders who handled the case.

“On behalf of my office, our thoughts are with the victims and their families as well as with an entire community impacted by the events of Saturday evening,” she wrote.


This is not Kinner’s first brush with the justice system.

He had multiple arrests related to alcohol and drugs and violence in his past, Bones said. He served prison time in Kentucky, he said.

Kinner’s Facebook account, where he went by Timothy, was last posted on in 2011. His account states he lived in Memphis, Tennessee, and graduated from Hamilton High School in 2005.

According to the New York Times, Kinner has faced multiple charges in Tennessee. Since 2012, he was convicted of assault, aggravated assault, a weapon offense and unlawful possession of a controlled substance, according to the report.

In April, Kinner was arrested in St. George, Utah, according to the Salt Lake Tribune. Prosecutors in Idaho stated that was his most recent arrest. Kinner, who pleaded no contest to the theft of a wallet which had about $700 inside, was sentenced to 18 months probation in April and given a suspended jail sentence of 364 days in jail.

The Salt Lake Tribune reported that Kinner did not have to keep in contact with a probation officer.

Idaho Press reporter Emily Lowe contributed to this report

Tommy Simmons is the Ada County public safety reporter for the Idaho Press. Follow him on Twitter @tsimmonsipt

Support Local Journalism


Load comments