Support Local Journalism


With long lines at both Ada and Canyon County driver’s license offices, it is useful for people to know what documents to bring prior to making a trip to the Department of Motor Vehicles to obtain a Star Card.

A Star Card is similar to a regular driver’s license and looks almost identical, but it meets new federal security measures. Starting Oct. 1, 2020, people will need either a Star Card, U.S. Passport, military identification, or some other form of federally accepted ID to board a flight, even a domestic flight.

“We are seeing a lot of people come in to get the Star Card, and they don’t bring in the proper documents,”said Kelli Bolicek, administrative services bureau director, who manages the driver’s license office in Ada County. “Instead of us touching that person one time to get one license, it is two or three times and it is causing longer wait times.”

Cpl. Darin Freiburghaus, supervisor of the Canyon County drivers’ license office, said the same thing.

To help you make only one trip to the DMV for a Star Card, here are the documents you’ll need. 

1) To prove identity and date of birth, the driver’s license office needs one of the following:

  • Valid, unexpired U.S. Passport
  • Certified birth certificate.
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad, Form FS-240, DS-1350 or FS-545.
  • Valid, unexpired Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551).
  • Unexpired employment authorization document (EAD), Form I-766 or Form I-688B. (Must be accompanied by an unexpired foreign passport.)
  • Unexpired foreign passport with a valid, unexpired U.S. visa affixed accompanied by the approved I-94 form documenting the applicant’s most recent admittance into the United States. (Must be accompanied by unexpired EAD card or other acceptable documents.)
  • Certificate of Naturalization, Form N-550 or Form N-570.
  • Certificate of Citizenship, Form N-560 or Form N-561.
  • REAL ID driver’s license or identification card issued in another state.

2) To prove a Social Security number, the driver’s license needs one of the following documents:

  • Your non-laminated Social Security card.
  • W-2 form.
  • Social Security Administration Form 1099.
  • Non-Social Security Administration Form 1099.
  • Pay stub with your name and Social Security number on it.
  • For temporary residents not authorized for employment, the Idaho Transportation Department will verify your USCIS number.
  • For temporary residents authorized for employment who do not have a SSN, you will be required to obtain and present one.

3) To prove Idaho residency, the driver’s license needs two of the following documents:

An original or certified copy of one of these, dated within one year of presenting it:

  • A lease, rental agreement, mortgage or deed.
  • Record from a public utility for service address, such as a power bill, water bill, trash and sewer bill (cellphone bills will not be accepted).
  • Bank or credit card statement.
  • Paycheck, pay stubs or employment records.
  • Idaho school enrollment records with current address or Verification of Compliance for current school year and current address (college ID not accepted).
  • Motel, hotel, campground or RV park receipt showing 30 days of residency
  • Military Leave and Earning Statement to evidence Idaho residency of applicant deployed outside of Idaho while serving on active duty.
  • Relief Agency or Shelter Certification.
  • Property Owner Residency Affidavit.

Or an original or certified copy of the last issued document among the list below:

  • Court documents.
  • Record of property taxes assessed or paid (receipt date within one year).
  • A vehicle insurance liability card, binder or bill issued by an Idaho-based carrier.

Source: Idaho Department of Transportation

Editor's note: This story was corrected on Nov. 4 to show that you'll need two documents to show proof of address. The original version had the incorrect number of documents required.

Load comments