BOISE — Boise State University will not be using eminent domain to acquire property for its new baseball stadium south of campus.
According to a press release from the school, it has reached agreements to purchase both a parking lot owned by the Boise Church of Christ and a fourplex in the block surrounded by Beacon Street and Denver and Euclid avenues.
The two parcels were among the last three pieces of land in the area sited for the school’s baseball stadium that were not owned by the school.
The first of the three properties at 1104-1108 S. Grant Ave. was purchased by BSU for $999,000 after a negotiation period.
The school got permission from the State Board of Education in August to use eminent domain to obtain the properties but later withdrew the proceeding after both the Boise Church of Christ and Cotner Properties and Investments LLC agreed to negotiate.
Purchase prices were not noted in the press release.
The block in question and several others in the area have been in the university’s expansion plan for over 40 years. City planning documents from the Biblical Studies Center’s initial application to build its facility and parking lot in 1972 include correspondence from the school — then called Boise State College — stating that the area west of Denver Avenue is planned for the school’s eventual expansion. These documents were provided to the Idaho Press by Boise State.