Robin Ann Miller is charged with a felony count of assault and battery on a law enforcement officer in connection with a standoff involving the Ada Metro SWAT team Wednesday morning, January 14th.

Miller fired at least one shot in the direction of SWAT team members during the 6-hour standoff who were outside her home in the 1300 block of S. Cholla Drive.

The incident began just after 3 a.m. Wednesday when Ada County dispatchers got a 911 call from a neighbor, who said they heard the sound of gunshots — and someone yelling for help — from Miller’s home.

Kuna Police arrived moments later and found a broken window. They then made contact with Miller by talking through the  window. Officers also saw a gun through the window. Miller would not explain what was going on or agree to come out to talk to officers.

Officers called for the Ada Metro SWAT team a short time later out of concern for public safety. Deputies continued to try to talk to Miller — through the window, using a megaphone, and also using a cell phone tossed into the home — but Miller would not cooperate.

Members of the SWAT team began arriving shortly after 5 a.m. and began to set up around the home.

At 8:12 a.m. Miller fired a shot from inside the home to near where SWAT team members had been standing a few moments before.

That’s when SWAT members asked to use the REVA armored personnel carrier. They continued to try to talk to Miller and convince her to come out while they waited for the REVA.

A phone alert was sent to the 12 homes nearest to Miller’s house telling people what was going on and that deputies would come to their homes to escort them out to ensure their safety.

For the homes directly across from Miller’s house, deputies parked the REVA between them to provide cover before they helped evacuate people inside those houses.

Want more news like this in your email inbox every morning?

Deputies then used the REVA to knock down some tree branches and then part of the front door so they could get a better look on what was going on inside.

Once that was done they sent in a robot which broadcasts a video feed back to SWAT members. Deputies then sent the robot up the steps of the home to the bedroom where Miller was. They used the robot to talk with her and get video from inside.

Just before 11 a.m. SWAT members threw in some flash devices (which generate loud noise and blinding light), went into Miller’s room, and got her into custody.

SWAT members did not fire any rounds during the standoff. No one else was inside Miller’s home. No one was injured during the standoff.

Investigators later found at least two handguns and evidence that several shots were fired inside.

It is unclear why Miller fired shots inside her house and yelled for help at 3 a.m. or why she fired at SWAT team members later.

Deputies booked Miller into the Ada County Jail Wednesday afternoon after she was released from the hospital.

The crime of felony assault and battery on law officers (Idaho Code 18 – 915) is punishable by up to 25 years in prison.

News report provided by Ada County Sheriff's Office.

Load comments