Ward Memorial Park is a historical site memorializing the members of the Ward Party that were killed by local Indians on Aug. 20, 1854. This is the site of the first attack on wagon trains during this particular period of the Oregon Trail. Emigrants and Indians occasionally had adverse encounters that resulted in conflict and loss of life for both sides. In October 1924, the Pioneer Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution dedicated a granite shaft to be placed over the supposed location of the emigrant graves. On the bronze plaques their names have been inscribed. The park is open year-round, from dawn until dusk.